Zac,

It has been quite some time since we have had the chance to chat. I hope everything is going well for you at University of Wyoming, and that your prerequisite classes are helping you decide which path you will take throughout your college education. I am writing you in hopes that this letter will help you see the light, and hopefully persuade you towards a major that I believe will teach you skills that you cannot find anywhere else. I am currently finishing up my final semester here at Utah State, and will be graduating in December with a bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies. Now I know you are thinking, “I know how to communicate. I spent the last two years knocking on doors and communicating to people about my beliefs, and the things I value in life; why would I spend another four years learning something I already know?” When I was your age, my thought process was very similar. I would have never imagined that this is the major I would devote four years of my life to either. Nonetheless, throughout my studies in this field, I feel like I have not only grown sufficient in communication skills, but also feel that I have grown as a person, overall. It is safe for me to say that I believe this major will help you become a well-rounded individual in every aspect of life.

I am currently enrolled in a Technical and Professional Communications course that is helping me understand how to effectively communicate with both private, and public organizations. I believe that this course will help me fine tune my communication skills on a professional level, so when the time comes for me to interview for a job, will help set me apart from other applicants. Before I go in to more depth, I think it is important for you, and anyone who chooses this major, to understand what effective communication should encompass. To make this easier to understand, I will lay out six aspects of what communication should look like.

 Effective communication should be clear, concise, accurate, accessible, purposeful, and should be handled in a timely matter. When it comes to technical and professional communication, these six communication aspects still apply. According to an article written by Wikipedia in April of 2017, professional communication “encompasses written, oral, visual and digital communication within a workplace context.” This article also states that, “the field of professional communication is closely related to that of technical communication.” Technical communication is defined by the same article as, “any form of communication that focuses on technical or specialized topics, communicates specifically by using technology or provides instructions on how to do something.” Knowing what this field of technical and professional communication entails, knowing how to use these skills effectively will not only help set you apart in the workplace, but in every aspect of life. For future reference, any time you are communicating in the workplace, or with any person you respect, you must use professional communication to build, as well as maintain credibility. Being literate, and portraying a complete understanding of these in-depth forms of communication will set you apart, and is something that future employers, and all those you communicate with will notice.

I encourage you strongly to look in to Communication Studies as your major, or at least your minor. If this still doesn’t sound the like right field of study for you, I hope you will recognize, and learn, the benefits of proper technical, and professional communication. I hope this letter helps you understand that communication is more than talking with someone face to face, and the more effective and efficient you become in this field, the better off you will be.


Wish you the very best,



Gabriel Anderson

Comments

  1. Gabriel,

    I loved the way you opened the letter with more personal matters. You made sure to write to Zac specifically, and not just to start defining the topic generally. You helped connect the dots from his current situation in life, to technical and professional writing, and how it related to him. Once you did get into the definition, you did a great job outlining the basics. My only wish is I wish you would have provided links to your sources you quoted. Otherwise, fantastic job.

    - Jon A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriel,

    I really enjoyed reading your letter to your cousin, one thing that I really enjoyed about your letter was how personalized it was. The way that you started your letter with personal matters of not talking to your cousin for a little bit made it seem more legit. I also liked how you included definitions of each subject. As well as trying bringing in real world experiences like how you have been knocking doors and selling. That is a very good example of professional communications. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabriel,

    I liked how you objectively went through what professional communication is and how important communication. In your explanation of professional communication, it would have been interesting if you would have described how professional communication is a type of rhetoric.
    Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment